Zipper Mowers, established in 1992, is a leader in manufacturing high quality, commercial lawn mowers and attachments for a variety of landscaping solutions. Zipper, headquartered in Augusta, Kansas has been focusing it’s efforts on many growth focused efforts including the restructuring of is production facilities. By expanding their product line, they plan to expand their market exponentially.
Zipper Mowers History
- 1992 — The Grazer Mower had been a popular mower built and sold around the Wichita Kansas area. The brand and production rights were bought by Ingersoll and all production had moved to Wisconsin, leaving the current production facility in Augusta, Kansas. A decision was made by ex-Grazer employees to re-start production of a mower to be known as a “Zipper” in the Augusta facility. R & D was started to develop a mower similar to the Grazer, but much improved.
- 1993 — Production of the first Zipper Time Saver™ was started in Augusta, KS. The first models were 18 and 20HP units with 54″ and 64″ decks, using the unique deck design that allowed float not only front to rear, but side to side giving superior quality of cut over uneven surfaces.
- 1994 — Developed the first 74″ deck as the widest cutting width available for any front-mount mower.
- 1998 — October 31, Augusta and the Zipper Manufacturing facility were flooded with 4′ of water owing to a dike breaking at a nearby confluence of two rivers. The ensuing damage put Zipper out of business for almost two years as the clean-up and reconstruction proceeded.
- 1999 — Two local businessmen purchased Zipper from the original developer, and proceeded with an improved version of the original Time Saver™, re-building the market that had been lost owing to the flood.
- 2003 — Developed and introduced the 17HP 44″ deck Legacy mower. This mower was in addition to the Time Saver™, and Zipper built this mower for 2 years until production was halted by a sudden unavailability of key components.
- 2006 — Development started on the Super Time Saver™ front-mount mower using an improved 64” or 74” deck. This mower was designed with more strength and durability in mind as previous customers had requested improvements in several areas.
- 2007 — The Super Time Saver™ is introduced to the marketplace and finds good acceptance with farmers, ranchers, parks departments, industrial parks, colleges and any other maintainers of massive areas of turf owing to its speed and quality of cut.
- 2008 — Introduced 31HP 50″ and 60″ mid-mount mowers in an effort to broaden the Zipper product assortment. This machine is designed for finer grasses and smaller areas of maintenance. Also, in March of 2008 Zipper was purchased by Onyx Environmental Solutions, Inc. becoming Zipper Mowers LLC, and adding propane-powered mowers to the then current gasoline-powered models, using Onyx’s Enviroguard™ technology.
- 2009 — Development began on a Mini Time Saver™ that is approximately 2/3 the size and weight of the Super Time Saver™ using a 44” or 54” deck.
- 2010 — Development began on an improved version of the mid-mount mower addressing several operator concerns and improving performance, balance, operator comfort and ergonomics. This mower will be known as the Estate Time Saver™. During the summer, a major change in management brings a massive re-structuring of the manufacturing facility ensuring better efficiencies and quality controls.
- 2011 — The Mini Time Saver™ and Estate Time Saver™ along with an improved Super Time Saver™ will be introduced to the marketplace during the early spring. Development work will start soon on a diesel powered Time Saver™.